What If You Had to lie for a living?
Tanwen is gifted at telling stories and weaves colorful tales about the godesses and King Gareth, crown-approved stories. In the end, her tales produce pretty crystal trinkets, which she sells. Her goal is to become the royal storyteller. There is a problem. Her stomach twitches as she tells these approved tales. Something about them about doesn’t quite ring true and threads of white light glitches out of her. The royal guards take notice. Tanwen’s cruel mentor abandons her. She returns home and is promptly kidnapped by a group who may very well be her salvation. Or until a bounty is placed on her head.
- The imagery is gorgeous, especially how Tanwen’s stories spin colored threads into the crystal figurines related to the story she tells.
- The Story Peddler is a Christian story and there are threads (pun intended) of this throughout although it’s not stated. I love that. Tanwen’s culture is based on godess worship, but she’s having doubts about their religion. Other characters come along and mention a solitary Creator.
- There are some themes that will make for great inward reflection or good discussion topics for a book club or reading in class.
- There isn’t a strong romance theme.
- It took me a couple of chapters to feel fully engaged in the story.
- There was a bit of drawing of information, especially related to Tanwen’s questions about her father.
I honestly didn’t get too engaged in the story at first. This is likely because straight up fantasy isn’t my favorite genre. Tanwen’s storytelling was intriguing. Once I got into the story, I was hooked and I really enjoyed it. This is a book I enjoyed more for theme than plot. One of the characters is literally going mad because she’s had to supress her talent. There’s a lot packed into the various characters’ backstories. It’s almost an ensemble cast even though the story is primarily told through Tanwen’s eyes. I like that. The book is well-written and the writing is creative and engaging. Also, there is so much to discuss, that this is a perfect book club read.
- Tanwen questions the truth in the stories she tells. What would you do if your job or school assignment forced you to lie?
- Tanwen has the chance to choose adventure or a stable life with Brac. Which would you choose and why?
- Braith must choose between honoring her father or doing what she thinks is right. What would you do if you had an immoral parent or authority figure in your life?
- Gryfelle’s health is suffering because she’s had to suppress your talent. How do you think this relates to using your gifts and talents to honor God?
- Are you Team Brac or Team Mor? Or do you like both or neither?
- What do you think of Cameria’s choice to serve King Gareth? [Answer this one after you’ve read the entire book]
Giveaway Link & HTML
About the Author
Lindsay A. Franklin is an award-winning author, award-winning freelance editor, and homeschooling mom of three. She would wear pajama pants all the time if it were socially acceptable. She spends a lot of time in made-up worlds, and she’s passionate about sparking imagination through stories of infinite possibility. Her debut fantasy novel, The Story Peddler, releases in 2018. When she’s not exploring the fantastical, she’s exploring the Bible and encouraging young women through her devotional books (click here for more information on Adored).
Lindsay lives in her native San Diego with her husband (master of the dad joke), their awesomely nerdy kids, two thunder pillows (AKA cats), and a stuffed wombat with his own Instagram following (@therealwombatman). You can find Lindsay on social media, too, if Wombatman hasn’t hijacked all her accounts. She’s @LinzyAFranklin on Instagram and Twitter, and she Facebooks at www.facebook.com/LindsayAFranklin.
Email list sign-up link: http://eepurl.com/bwF64j
Blog Tour Schedule
Tuesday, April 24th
Wednesday, April 25th
Thursday, April 26th
Friday, April 27th
Saturday, April 28th
Monday, April 30th
Tuesday, May 1st
- Review – i am not a bookworm!
- Review – Worthy2Read
- Review – Lori’s Book Loft
- The Story Peddler and Unbreakable Facebook Launch Party
Wednesday, May 2nd
- Blog Tour Wrap-Up – Unicorn Quester
Want to dive into a new world or in need of a good book? Use the link below to enter to win a signed print copy of The Story Peddler (not pictured), a blue strand book sleeve (not pictured), custom Story Peddler bookmark, a fluffhopper sticker, and a set of five mini Story Peddler art prints! (US only.)
Facebook Party Information
Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/162545804573276/
Calling all book readers! Join authors Lindsay A. Franklin and Sara Ella to celebrate the releases of their novels, The Story Peddler and Unbreakable, on May 1st!
Grab your favorite drink and snack and be prepared for a fun time of chatting with Lindsay and Sara, games, and giveaways.
The party starts at 8 PM EST (7 PM CST and 5 PM PST). Can’t wait to see you there!